Thursday, March 10, 2011

Immoral Budget Decisions part 1: Introduction

I recently re-tweeted something from MoveOn.org about the latest Republican budget proposal, and then I followed it up with a tweet echoing that I actually did for once agree with MoveOn's slogan that the proposed cuts are immoral. This led to a stimulating discussion with a fiscally conservative friend of mine, and as a result of that I've decided it's a good idea to flesh out my ideas in a series of blog posts. This first post will give the gist of my overall argument, and subsequent posts will be focused on compiling references I've drawn on and evaluating the details of my points.

I like analogies, so I'll start off with a story. Imagine two brothers, one of whom is pretty well off, and another who has just gotten into some dire financial trouble. The second brother goes to the first and asks for some money, and the first brother says to him, "I'm really sorry, brother, but I'm having a bit of a budget crisis myself and I really can't afford to help you out right now."

Is the first brother making an immoral choice at this point? Not necessarily. Although I certainly advocate making sacrifices for the sake of helping others, with all we know about the brothers now it could very well be that the well-off brother is telling the truth, and so I wouldn't want to pass judgement at this point.

Now suppose the story continues with the poor brother walking by a car dealership and spotting his brother chatting with a dealer about a sport car. As his brother goes into the dealer's office to close his purchase, the poor brother says hello to the well-off brother's wife and mentions that he didn't know their family was in need of a new car. "Oh we don't need that car," she says, "I just haven't been able to get him to shut up about it. We don't even have the cash on hand to pay for it, so he's financing the thing. I told him he should reconsider but he just wouldn't budge."

Does this part of the story change how we should view the first brother's choices? I would argue that it does, and very much so. For one, the well-off brother is choosing to send himself further into debt at a time when getting out of debt would give him the ability to help his brother. His own financial health impacts not only him but others in his life as well. Perhaps most telling, though, is the fact that even though the well-off brother claims to be in a crisis, he still feels confident enough to take on the extra debt of a new car. If he can finance a car, though, why can't he finance his brother? If he really doesn't need the car, why wouldn't he forgo that purchase and perhaps even take out a loan on behalf of his brother if he's that confident in his credit? Surely that would be a much better reason to take on debt. The other things the first brother does with his finances informs us about his motives, and in this case I think it would be fair to call his priorities and choices immoral.

This analogy is of course imperfect, so I advise against extrapolating too much from it. It does illustrate the central point of contention I have with the GOP budget proposal though. They are slashing already bare-bones programs that provide needy children lunches, pregnant women health care, and homeless veterans shelter. At the same time, much larger and more expensive areas of waste exist on the federal level that they are completely unwilling to discuss. Subsidies to industries such as oil conglomerates who are posting record profits, inefficient and unregulated contracting to private firms, and even superfluous defense projects the Pentagon brass rejects as wasteful are all examples of areas where cuts are either morally neutral or even positive, and Republicans are largely unwilling to take these on. All this, and I haven't even mentioned their virulent fight against a meager 3% increase on the marginal tax rate for the top tax bracket!

Republicans like to talk a lot about balancing the budget and reducing the deficit, goals I definitely agree with. However if we're going to do so, we should have all options on the table, and we should prioritize cutting true waste over cutting programs that actually help people. Putting the needy on the chopping block ahead of real trash is more than irrational and shortsighted, it is immoral.

Stay tuned for follow up posts with details and references!

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah! Blogger just ate my comment. Why did I not ctrl-c first? ;) Let's see if I can remember what I wrote...

    Good stuff! I like your analogy, and I agree with you so far... i think where we disagree might be in what comes next....

    So, we both agree that the well-off brother is acting immorally. Assuming for the moment that I'm not either brother, and I'm watching from across the street... what (morally, ethically) should my next move be? Should I forcibly take money from the wealthier brother to give to the poorer? Or, should I step in, buy the poorer brother some food myself, organize some friends and family to help out others like him... go to the wealthier brother and ask (not demand) for help with our growing aid organization...

    Also, what if the wealthier brother does *want* the car, but ALSO honestly believes that by purchasing it, he is helping to support the salesman and his family, the workers in Detroit who built the car (let's assume the car's American ;), the mechanic he will pay to maintain it, etc etc... that, in fact, his continued spending is critical to keep a struggling economy going....

    Not trying to nitpick your analogy, here... I like it, and I'm trying to expand it to include my thoughts. Once we see someone wealthy admittedly acting immorally, what do we do? Does the end (feeding the hungry) justify the means (forcibly taking what's not ours)? Or do we have a more personal responsibility to the needy?

    (Now, Ctrl-c, attempt to post...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Made a couple slight edits to that first post, and reposted it.)

    Incidentally, I'm not saying *all* taxes are unjust... insomuch as the wealthy drive on roads, benefit from the police and the legal system, send their kids to schools, they also owe financial support for those services. (I'd say supporting veterans also falls into this category... we all owe them a debt.) That's the government demanding compensation for the running of our country.

    Beyond that -- the caring for the orphans, widows, the sick, the hungry -- is that a role *best* taken on by a government trillions of dollars in debt, squabbling over how to keep our economy from running into the ground, how best to interact with other global governments? Or is it the role of churches, families, friends, neighbors...? It IS essential that those people are cared for... but who can do it most efficiently, with the most love?

    I think it's easy for us to see the needy and say, "ah, the government will (or should) take care of them", and to keep on walking. What if it wasn't "the government's job"? What if it was the government's job to govern, and *our* job to love our neighbor?

    Thanks for listening. ;) Looking forward to the upcoming Parts!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good points, though I do think a lot of your assumptions need to be addressed. The first thing I will say is that the Christian aversion to government help is a pretty uniquely American invention; in European countries for instance Christians tend to be advocates of social programs because they see government as a valid forum through which to push for godly principles of caring for others.

    The other thing that comes to mind at the moment is that your placement of yourself across the street from the first brother is not entirely correct. Insofar as that brother represents the government, you are that brother! As participants in a democratic system we have a responsibility to make sure our representatives behave morally, and if they don't we need to call them out on it, otherwise we are complicit in their actions. If our government is truly of the people, by the people, and for the people, then the dichotomy you've presented between people and government is a false one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are of course other things that come to mind too, but I may assess them in other posts. Thanks for commenting! It's really helpful to me to have this dialogue because it helps me clarify my thoughts. I'm glad you find it stimulating as well, and I hope you continue to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah! That helps... I misunderstood the analogy. I was thinking both brothers represented kinds of *citizens* -- some better off than others. The well-off brother might be the oil conglomerate you mentioned, or something like that.

    Anyway, yeah, I totally agree that these sort of conversations really help with clarifying thinking. I'm defending a particular position here, but I'm actually more uncertain/undecided about what I think than you might suspect. :)

    Looking forward to the rest!

    -T

    ReplyDelete
  7. This came across my Reader... quick, easy read, touches on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha, that was pointless without the link. That's what I get for posting at that hour. ;)

    http://www.thechurchofnopeople.com/2011/03/honk-if-you-hate-social-justice/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry I've been slow on the follow-ups; I got a bit sick on Sunday and have had to spend my small amount of productive energy on my work. Here's an interesting article if you want something different to stretch your mind — it's pretty far left and it gets a bit ranty but it's got a lot of history in it so I think it's still worth it:

    http://www.peacefuluprising.org/power-concedes-nothing-without-a-demand-20110314

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the link you shared btw Travis, it raises a lot of good points.

    ReplyDelete